House Flooding

During a heavy rain event the most common crisis is flooding in your home. Water can enter the home several ways; through your sewer lateral, seeping through walls or overland through windows, etc. If the water is coming through your sewer lateral (sewer back-up) you should call the Public Works Department at (630) 620-5740. During particularly severe events, it can be that the Village’s sewer mains are full and, unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done. However, in many cases it can be a matter of your sewer lateral needing to be rodded.

Street Flooding

Street flooding is another common occurrence during heavy rain. Catch basins blocked by debris is one cause of street flooding. Please call the Public Works Department if you have cleared a catch basin to no avail or need a Village employee to clear a catch basin. It is never advisable to drive through or wade into flooded areas because the depth of the water can be deceiving and obstacles under the water may not be visible.

Overland Flooding

The Village has a policy to reimburse residents up to $50 per year for sandbags or similar temporary flood water control materials. Residents may purchase sandbags and/or comparable flood-proofing materials from any commercial source and provide receipts with the application for reimbursement and submit them to the Public Works Department at 1051 S. Hammerschmidt Avenue. Residents are solely responsible to store, place and dispose of sandbags and any other flood-proofing materials. Contact Public Works at publicworks@villageoflombard.org or (630) 620-5740 for more information.

Clean up

Clean and disinfect every surface. Scrub surfaces with hot water and a heavy-duty cleaner. Then disinfect with a solution of 1/4 cup chlorine bleach per gallon of water or a product that is labeled as a disinfectant to kill germs. Residents are typically responsible for the cost of the clean up effort; refuse stickers, etc. On rare occasions when flooding is severe and wide-spread, Village officials may assist flood affected residents by providing free refuse stickers. When discarding items through curb-side garbage pick up, all size and weight restrictions must be followed.

Following are the guidelines for a few common items: 

    Carpeting & Padding 
    Must be tied rolls, no longer than 4’ and no heavier than 50 pounds. 

    Large Items (too big for toter, less than 50 lbs.) 
    Examples are: sofas, tables, chairs, etc. Each item must have a refuse sticker attached. 

    Every item outside of the toter must have a refuse sticker, including additional cans and bags.