The Village of Lombard offers several reimbursement programs which benefit homeowners and businesses. Please select an option below for more information.
Applications are best submitted online, or by email if an online option is not provided. Otherwise, they may be placed in the white drop box in front of the Village Hall (next to the postal box) or delivered in person during office hours. Online and email are preferred to enable the quickest response. Note that a delay of up to a few days may be incurred for paper submittals depending on in-office staff availability.
- Local Tourism Grant
- Residential Drainage Program
- Rain Barrel
- Compost Bin
- Clear Water Disconnect
- Downtown Grant
- Lead Water Line Replacement
- Overhead Sewer
- Sandbag Materials
- Local Hotel Relief Grant
About the Local Tourism Grant Program
The Local Tourism Grant Program was developed by the Village through the Community Promotion and Tourism Committee, and is intended to assist local organizations with funding for local programs and events that promote tourism and conventions within, or otherwise attract overnight nonresident visitors to the Village of Lombard. Funding for these grants is generated by hotel/motel tax dollars. The goal of the Local Tourism Grant program is to positively impact the vitality of Lombard by contributing to the local economy through increased hotel occupancy, visitor travel and local expenditures.
Seeking Applicants for 2024 Local Tourism Grants
The Village of Lombard is currently seeking grant applications for local programs and events that support tourism and promote the Village as a destination to nonresident visitors. Interested first time applicants to the Local Tourism Grant Program are encouraged to submit an application for Local Tourism Grant funds to the Village by Friday, December 15, 2023.
Funding for the 2024 Local Tourism Grant Program is constrained. The grant committee may prioritize grant awards, adjust funding levels, or choose to fund a portion of any request based upon availability of funds.
Who should apply?
Applicants must be organizations seeking to produce and promote a clearly defined event, such as a festival, program, or convention, designed to bring overnight visitors to Lombard hotels. Eligible organizations must satisfy the following requirements:
- Act as an active Illinois not-for-profit corporation in good standing with the Office of the Illinois Secretary of State.
- Possess or have applied for tax-exempt nonprofit status under Section 501(c) of the United States Internal Revenue Code [26 U.S.C. §501(c)].
- Demonstrate a documented history of at least two (2) years of continuous operation before applying.
- Actively engage in planning and executing events that contribute to tourism and conventions in the Village of Lombard, drawing overnight nonresident visitors.
Ineligible organizations that have previously received Local Tourism Grant funding may still be considered for funding, either independently or in partnership with eligible organizations or previously approved events.
The purpose of the grant program is to provide support for local tourism programs, attractions and events to enhance the marketing of the Village of Lombard to visitors. Groups applying for grant funds are encouraged to purchase all goods and services used for the event from businesses located in Lombard.
First Time Applicants
First time applicants must attend a grant-seekers workshop to receive assistance and guidance with their initial grant application. For more information on the grant program or to schedule a grant-seekers workshop, contact Deputy Village Manager Nicole Aranas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grant awards for returning programs will be made once a year. To be considered for funding in 2024, applicants for programs which have previously received Village funding must apply by December 15, 2023.
All events must show the potential to generate overnight hotel stays and should include Village hotel(s) in their promotion. Applications will be assessed based upon criteria including, but not limited to the following:
- Ability of the event to attract overnight visitors in past years.
- Ability of the event to grow over two or more years.
- Food, beverage and retail expenditures by out of market visitors and the extent to which the event provides economic opportunities for Lombard businesses.
- Ability of the event to project a positive image of the Village of Lombard and to increase the visibility of Lombard tourism, attractions, and events.
The Residential Drainage Program provides single family residential property owners additional resources and guidance to help address flooding or drainage issues.
The Village offers a drainage grant to qualifying homeowners that experience flooding on their private property that remains for 72 hours or longer and which effects at least two contiguous properties OR results in damage to the principal structure.
To be considered for a potential grant, please follow the steps below:
- Contact the Private Development Engineer (PES@villageoflombard.org) to set up a meeting at your residence to discuss the specifics of your drainage concerns. Include several photos of the areas of concern with your initial email.
- The Private Development Engineer will send a summary email of the meeting and include any necessary sketches/recommendations, as well as a determination of your grant eligibility.
- If the property qualifies for a grant, contact appropriate contractors to obtain at least two quotes for remediation of the drainage concern, using the recommendations from the Engineer. Alternative designs from the contractors will also be considered. A grant application should also be submitted to the Engineer at this stage.
- Submit the quotes to the Private Development Engineer for review.
- Apply for a permit through our Online Portal using the quote/scope and sketch from the contractor (permit fees apply).
- Once approved, the contractor will need to schedule all inspections as listed on the permit card. The inspector will verify that all work is being done per plan and is compliant with Village code.
- Once the final inspection is passed, submit a copy of the paid invoice to the Private Development Engineer to receive a reimbursement of 50% of the eligible project cost (up to a maximum of $15,000 total for all properties involved).
If the property does not meet the provisions of the grant program, the Village can still offer technical guidance to help address drainage concerns. Questions can be directed to the Private Development Engineer at PES@villageoflombard.org, or 630-620-5972.
A copy of the Village Board policy with further information can be found here.
The Rain Barrel Reimbursement Program was created to encourage residents to conserve water. Through this program the Village will reimburse residents a maximum of $40 per barrel for the purchase of one (1) rain barrel. Rain barrels are excellent for outdoor watering use and at the same time allow residents to save on their water bill! If you are unsure how to set up a rain barrel a video by the Conservation Foundation shows how to install them.
Compost Bin Reimbursement Program
The Compost Bin Reimbursement Program is available to residents for the purchase of residential compost bins. The Village will reimburse a maximum of $80 for the purchase of one (1) bin.
In addition to the reimbursement program, Lombard residents in single family homes and multi-unit buildings up to 4 units, can subscribe to an optional curbside composting program for additional costs through Waste Management.
The purpose of the Clear Water Disconnect Reimbursement Program is to assist homeowners in complying with Section 50.026 of the Village Code, which prohibits certain types of clear water connections (such as downspouts and sump pumps) to sanitary and combined sewers. Reimbursement funds will be offered to homeowners who have been notified by the Village to disconnect clear water sources from sanitary and combined sewers, residents wishing to make the disconnection due to historic flood events and residents obtaining a building permit for specific work as defined in the Clear Water Disconnect Program pamphlet further defined in this pamphlet. The Village will reimburse 50% of costs up to maximum qualifying amounts determined by disconnection work to be done.
The Village of Lombard administers several programs that provide financial assistance for businesses and projects within the downtown area and along East St. Charles Road.
Please visit our Downtown Grants page for further information or email staff at email@example.com.
The Lead Water Service Line Replacement Program was established to provide financial assistance to homeowners who desire to replace their lead water service line to reduce the exposure to lead and to mitigate the risk of consuming water that may contain lead. Eligible homeowners may qualify for a reimbursement of 75% of the cost, up to a maximum of $5,000, to install a new water service line of approved materials as stated in the Illinois State Plumbing Code and in accordance with the Village of Lombard Lead Abatement in Potable Water Standard Operating Procedure.
The Overhead Sewer Reimbursement Program is offered to assist homeowners who experience chronic sewer back-ups. Eligible homeowners may qualify for a reimbursement of 75% of the cost, up to a maximum of $5,000. Any costs above the sum total will be the responsibility of the applicant.
The Public Works Department provides a reimbursement not to exceed $50 per year to residents purchasing sandbags and/or comparable flood-proofing materials to prepare ahead of time for flood events. Residents may purchase sandbags and/or comparable flood proofing materials from any commercial source and provide receipts for reimbursement. Residents are solely responsible to store, place and dispose of sandbags and any other flood-proofing materials.
The Village of Lombard has dedicated $275,000 of funding to a new Local Hotel Relief Grant Program.
Lombard is home to more than 1,700 hotel rooms. Hotels and other businesses providing overnight accommodations play a critical role in supporting all sectors of the local economy.
Eligible hotels may apply for up to $159.79 per room for the following eligible expenses:
- Support for hotel promotions and marketing;
- Support for capital improvements to the hotel;
- Funds to incentivize group business through grant awards or rebates;
- Support for safety and security improvements;
- Funded promotions or incentives to provide hotel guests with incentive to stay (vouchers, cash rebates, gift cards, or tickets to attractions);
- Support for other improvements to hotel facilities or other services; and,
- Funds to support industry memberships or attendance at trade show
Eligible expenses do not include funds for payroll costs, wages, or benefits.
Interested business may apply by submitting their completed application along with a copy of their completed application for the DuPage County Hotel Relief Program on or before June 30, 2023.
Please note that the Village of Lombard Local Hotel Relief Grant Program is separate and distinct from any supplemental funding or grants provided through the State of Illinois or DuPage County.
- Local Hotel Relief Grant Program Program Guidelines
- Local Hotel Relief Grant Program Application
- Lombard Board of Trustees Presentation on the Local Hotel Relief Grant Program
For additional information or inquiries, please contact Nicole Aranas, Deputy Village Manager, at 630-620-3085 or firstname.lastname@example.org.