Certificate of Occupancy
Completing an Application
A Certificate of Occupancy/Zoning Certificate application is required prior to occupancy for all new commercial buildings, new residences, new tenant spaces, fire restorations, and change of business names. A Certificate of Occupancy/Zoning Certificate application must be completed in order to obtain a Certificate of Occupancy/Zoning Certificate. Applications are available online or at the Village Hall (lower level) in the Building Division. Applications can be turned in at Village Hall or via email. Payment can be done online or at Village Hall. The application must be filled out completely by the property owner and tenant.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following information is necessary:
- Name and type of business
- Address of proposed business location
- Applicant’s name, address and phone number
- Property Owner’s name, address and phone number
- Total square footage of tenant space
- Number of employees on premises at maximum shift capacity
- Detailed description of business activities at the proposed business location
- Type of fire and police alarms at proposed business location
- Name of company servicing fire and police alarms
- Hours of operation of proposed business
- Emergency and after hours contact information
ALL APPLICATIONS MUST BE SIGNED BY THE TENANT AND PROPERTY OWNER
The Building Division will provide you with information and assistance when filling out the Certificate of Occupancy/Zoning Certificate application, if needed.
Submitting the Application
Return the application to the Building Division of the Community Development Department. The Planning Division of the Community Development Department will review the application for zoning requirements and the Building Division will ensure all building construction, if any, has been completed and meets the Building Code standards.
The Village of Lombard requires at least two (2) business days to review the application prior to the scheduling of a Life Safety Inspection. A Life Safety Fire Inspection, conducted by a Lombard Fire Prevention Inspector, is required prior to occupancy of new or existing tenant spaces or new multi-family occupancies. Life Safety Inspections are usually scheduled along with building permit required inspections, if applicable. Phone (630) 620-5750 to schedule inspections. After the Life Safety Inspection, the Village of Lombard requires two (2) business days to prepare and issue the Certificate.
Issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy
The Building Division will notify the applicant listed on the application when the Certificate of Occupancy/Zoning Certificate is approved and ready to be picked up.
- Residential Certificate of Occupancy $100.00
- Conditional Residential Certificate of Occupancy $125.00
- Commercial Certificate of Occupancy/Zoning Certificate $125.00
- Conditional Commercial Certificate of Occupancy/Zoning Certificate $150.00