Permit Details


BUILDING DIVISION: All new or renovation, remodel, rehab of commercial, industrial, institutional, multi-family and residential buildings.  Phone: 630-620-5750

FIRE PREVENTION DIVISION: All new commercial, industrial, institutional and multi-family construction; and renovation, remodel, rehab of such existing buildings. 

PLANNING SERVICES DIVISION: All construction and land uses are reviewed for compliance with relevant planning and zoning requirements. Phone: 630-620-5749

PRIVATE ENGINEERING: All new or existing construction that may disrupt the natural grade or drainage of a lot. 

PUBLIC WORKS DEPT: All new or existing commercial, industrial, institutional and residential construction that would require work in the public right-of-ways. Phone: 630-620-5740

International Codes are accessible online


Carpenter/Communications: *Certificate of Insurance
Electrical:    Copy of current license (from a testing municipality) & *Certificate of Insurance 
Elevator:Elevator Co. License, *Certificate of Insurance
Excavator/Concrete/Paving/Masonry/Fence:*Certificate of Insurance
General Contractor:*Certificate of Insurance
HVAC/Iron/Steel:*Certificate of Insurance
Plumber/Lawn Sprinkler:Copy of current license State of Illinois Dept. of Public Health Registration
Roofer:Copy of State Roofing License
Sprinkler/Alarm Contractor:
*Certificate of Insurance
Copy of State of Illinois License

*All Certificates of Insurance must provide a minimum of $300,000 single limit manufacturer’s and contractor’s liability. Please Note: If doing work in the Village’s right of way, the Village of Lombard must be listed as additional insured and certificate holder.


1) Application

A permit application (PDF) is needed for all building permits and applications are available at the Village Hall. This online fillable application is for non-digital non-online submittals. Please click here to apply for permits online. The application can be completed by the property owner, general contractor, or contractor. All relevant information must be filled in, and all contractor requirements must be on file with Village’s Building Division prior to issuance of the building permit. In addition, the application needs to be attached to the plat of survey and drawing requirements stated below.  

2) Driveway/Fence Permits

  • 3 copies of the Plat of Survey are needed to obtain a driveway or fence permit. Please indicate on the copies of the Plat of Survey where the driveway or fence is intended to go. In most cases, driveway and fence permits are issued immediately and do not need to be taken in.

3) Permits such as sheds, porches, decks, pools, & small remodel

  • 3 copies of the Plat of Survey showing current boundary lines, existing structures, proposed structures easements, and right-of-ways.
  • 3 copies of architecturally stamped & sealed construction drawings (for all structural improvements, projects $10,000 or more estimated value.)
  • Site Plan (if applicable) with structural dimensions and location. 
  • Electrical, mechanical, and plumbing diagrams when alterations or improvements are made.

4) Single Family Residence Permits

  • ** 3 copies of current Plat of Survey showing current boundary lines, existing structures, proposed structures, easements, and right-of-ways.
  • ** 3 copies of architecturally stamped & sealed construction drawings (for all structural improvements)
  • ** 4 copies of Site Plans
  • ** 3 sets electrical, mechanical, and plumbing diagrams. Architecturally stamped & sealed drawings.
  • * * 3 sets Landscape drawings (if applicable)
  • * * Six (6) copies of final engineering drawings, must be signed and sealed by Registered Professional Engineer; drawings need to show proposed drainage; grading and topographical ground contours; all proposed utilities with elevations; all proposed right-of-way improvements; must show existing drainage conditions; proposed driveway, garage, or home location; proposed foundation elevations; and show erosion control;
  • ** Topographical survey must be prepared by a Registered Land Surveyor; all existing utilities with elevations; existing public right-of-way improvements.
  • ** 1 set plans showing building elevations to verify building height.
    • Driveways should be established with a 2% minimum and 8% maximum slope;
    • Finished grading is a minimum 6” below the top of foundation;
    • Location of gutters, downspouts, and sump pump discharge must be indicated; & splash to grade
    • Additions, garages, and sheds will be reviewed; engineering and/or topographical surveys may be required.
  • Stormwater detention as per DuPage County’s Countywide Storm Water Management Ordinance, as applicable, or as more restrictive per Chapter 151 of the Municipal Code. 
  • ** Items are also applicable for non-residential properties in addition to the items listed on the next page.

5. All Other Properties

  • Stormwater detention as per DuPage County’s countywide Storm Water Management Ordinance, as applicable, or as more restrictive per Chapter 151 of the Municipal Code.  The permit application can be completed here.
  • All plans must be prepared, signed, and sealed by a Registered Professional Engineer
  • Engineering calculations for stormwater detention must be prepared, signed, and sealed by a Registered Professional Engineer
  • Clearly identify all proposed improvements;
  • Engineers estimated costs
        Reflect public right-of-way improvements and restoration;
        All improvements associated with a stormwater facility
  • Erosion Control
  • Letter of Credit Required for Public Improvements

Fire Prevention

Specific procedures for the installation, or modifications, of fire suppression and detection systems, are required. Procedural instructions are issued from this office.

The Fire Prevention Bureau is required to witness the testing of all systems as prescribed by the adopted Codes and referenced NFPA Standards of the Village of Lombard.

Life Safety Fire Inspection Checklist


• A Certificate of Occupancy is required for all new businesses located within the Village of Lombard, all new attached or detached single-family residences, all new multi-family structures, all new commercial structures, and fire restorations, prior to occupancy; 

• An application form is available at the Village Hall, and must be completed and submitted for review by the Community Development/Building Division for zoning requirements; and to assure that if construction has occurred, all final inspections have been completed. 

• A Life Safety Inspection, conducted by a Fire Prevention Inspector is required prior to occupancy of new or existing commercial structure or space; or new multi-family occupancies.


The Village of Lombard requires a Business License for the following businesses: 

  • Coin Operated Amusement Device
  • Adult Amusement Arcades
  • Alarm Use
  • Operate Pool Tables
  • Operate Pool Hall
  • Operate a Bowling Alley
  • Operate a Motion Picture Theatre
  • Entertainment License
  • Operate Food Delivery Vehicle
  • Tobacco Dealers License
  • Operate a Filling Station
  • Operate Junk Yard/Auto Wrecker
  • Operate a Taxi Service
  • Antique Dealer
  • Operate a Massage Establishment
  • Commercial Recyclers
  • Peddler/Solicitors for 30 Days
  • Restaurant or Food Handler
  • Raffle Registration
  • Secondhand/Junk/Rummage—Store/Dealer
  • Operate a Carnival or Circus
  • Parade Permit
  • Liquor
  • Teen Age Cabaret/Juice Bar
  • Valet Services

Please contact Janet Downer in the Manager’s Office at (630) 620-5913 for further information relative to Business Licenses. All other questions should be directed to the Building Division at 630-620-5750.

In conclusion, the plan review process is done on a first come, first served basis. Usually, the time frame involved is approximately 2-3 weeks for new buildings or large additions. However, small structures such as sheds, garages, porches, and decks take less time, while large developments and subdivisions require a greater amount of time. 

During the peak construction season (late spring through the beginning of winter), the review process can take 4-6 weeks. 

Should you have any questions regarding the information or the process herein stated, please feel free to contact us. 

Phone Numbers

Department of Community Development

  • (630) 620-5749 (Planning Services & Private Engineering Services) 
  • (630) 620-5750 (Building Division) 
  • (630) 620-5750 (Fire Prevention)

Department of Public Works

  • (630) 620-5740