Along with other Fire Departments in the area, The Lombard Fire Department will be participating in the “Keep the Wreath Red Program," to remind residents about taking additional safety measures this holiday season. As the holiday season begins, The Fire Department will display a holiday wreath on the outside of both fire stations. The wreaths will be decorated with red light bulbs. If a fire occurs in our community that is attributed to holiday decorations, one red bulb will be replaced with a white bulb. Our goal is to Keep the Wreaths Red! This Year’s program will begin Thanksgiving Day, November 28th and end on January 1, 2020.
The Lombard Fire Department offers these safety tips to help keep your homes safer during the holiday season.
- Consider displaying an artificial tree
- When using a live tree, select a tree that is dark green in color and one that does not lose its needles readily.
- Keep live trees away from heat sources
- Keep live trees well-watered
- Do not overload lighting circuits or utilize damaged or worn holiday lighting
- Extinguish candles when you leave the room or go to sleep for the night
- Keep candles in containers that prevent the candle from tipping over or falling
- Keep candles away from combustible materials
- Make sure your smoke detectors and Carbon Monoxide detectors are operable
Also, our residents are encouraged to call The Lombard Bureau of Fire Prevention regarding any home safety concerns or questions at (630)873-4576.