Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
Now that summer is here, many residents will be enjoying evenings outside and outdoor recreational fires. Below are the guidelines to provide for the safe enjoyment of a recreational fire in Lombard.
The requirements listed below are by Village Ordinance and necessary to ensure safety and to prevent the unnecessary injury or fire spread.
1. Only dry, seasoned firewood shall be permitted to be burned. Green or wet firewood often creates objectionable smoke. Landscape waste, construction waste, etc. shall not be permitted to be burned.
2. Recreational fires should be in a manufactured or masonry fire pit
3. Recreational fires shall not be conducted within 25 feet of a structure or combustible material (includes wood fencing). Exception: Fires in approved manufactured containers (i.e. portable fireplaces) shall not be conducted within 15 feet of a structure or combustible material or placed upon wood decks.
4. Recreational fire pits can be no larger than 3 feet in diameter and no larger than 2 feet in height. Guideline; The fire pit may be constructed by digging a hole into the ground approximately 3 feet in diameter, and consist of a noncombustible ring such as rocks.
5. Recreational fires shall be constantly attended until fire is extinguished.
6. A minimum of one portable fire extinguisher with a minimum of 4-A rating or other approved on-site fire- extinguishing equipment, such as dirt, sand, water barrel, garden hose shall be available for immediate utilization.
7. Recreational fires are not permitted on Village of Lombard property or right of ways.
8. Recreational fires that are offensive or objectionable because of smoke or odor shall be prohibited. When wind speed or direction carries smoke or embers towards complainant, the fire shall be extinguished.9. Dial 9-1-1 to report a burning complaint.Please contact The Lombard Fire Prevention Bureau with any questions at (630)873-4576.