Car burglaries have been on the rise in recent months, with the majority of these crimes focusing on unlocked cars. The Lombard Police Department is encouraging residents to never leave valuables in cars and to never leave cars unlocked. The simple behaviors of ensuring that these steps are taken each night may help decrease the chance of criminals gaining access to vehicles.
To help minimize the risk of theft associated with automobile break-ins, the Lombard Police Department would like to remind residents of some important safety information.
- Do not leave valuables such as cell phones, wallets, purses, cash or change, lap tops, cameras, etc., in your car.
- Ensure that windows have been rolled all the way up and that your sunroof is securely closed.
- Always lock your car doors and never leave your keys in your vehicle.
- Be sure to conceal any garage door openers, as these devices allow entrance into your home and can lead to home break-ins.
- Do not leave items out including personal information such as checks, bank statements or tax information
- Avoid moving important items to your trunk while in public view.
- Turn on exterior lighting including porch, garage and driveway lights.
If you spot any suspicious activity please dial 9-1-1 and do not approach or confront suspicious individuals. For more information please contact the Lombard Police Department at (630)873-4400.