The Lombard Police Department today announced it’s joining with the Illinois Department of Transportation, the Illinois State Police and nearly 200 local police and sheriff’s departments to remind motorists to Click It or Ticket and Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over throughout the Thanksgiving holiday.
“We want our community to understand that it’s up to them to make the smart decision to drive sober Thanksgiving weekend and every day,” Lombard Traffic Safety Unit Officer Dan Herrera. “Remember – if you’re going to drink or use other impairing substances, don’t drive. We will be stepping up patrols to keep impaired drivers off the roads and ensure everyone makes it home from their celebrations.”
The safety campaign will run Nov. 19 – Nov. 29 leading up to and following the Thanksgiving Day holiday, one of the busiest times on Illinois roads.
If you’ll be celebrating with alcohol or other impairing substances, please remember:
- Make a plan for a sober ride home before you go out.
- If you’ve been drinking or using marijuana or other drugs, call a taxi, take mass transit, or call a family member to get you home safely.
- Use your favorite ride-share service, such as Uber or Lyft, or use public transportation.
- If you see a drunk driver, pull over safely and call 911.
- Make sure everyone in your vehicle wears their seat belt. It is the best defense against an impaired driver.
The Thanksgiving enforcement effort is made possible by federal traffic safety funds administered by the Illinois Department of Transportation.